Though there are many different types of financial service providers, including microfinance institutions, non-bank financial institutions, commercial banks, and cooperatives, social performance management (SPM) is critical to all.
The following five steps will help you get started in understanding what SPM is and how it can help you achieve your goals:
- Learn what social performance and SPM are.
- Understand why SPM is important. Social performance management not only helps you achieve your social goals, but also in many cases strengthens your financial performance. To learn more about the cost-benefit of SPM, click here.
- Read the Universal Standards for Social Performance Management.
- Use the SPI4 tool to conduct a self-assessment of your organization against the Universal Standards.
For those who would like to take steps to improve their SPM, many different excellent resources are available.
- The SPTF Resource Center is a comprehensive library of resources with guidance on how to implement the Universal Standards.
- Cick here to download the CGAP Brief on the USSPM Implementation Guide.
- Click here to download the full USSPM Implementation Guide.
- Watch videos that profile how different financial institutions around the world, and investors, and putting the Universal Standards into practice.
- Participate in SPTF's online webinar series on implementation of the Universal Standards. Each webinar focuses on a different dimension of the Universal Standards, and invites a guest speaker to describe how his/her institution is implementing certain essential practices.
- A number of complementary social performance initiatives are active. For a full market map and a description of the initiatives, see the links below:
- Responsible Inclusive Finance Initiatives Market Map_Updated October 2013
- Description of Responsible Investment Initiatives_Updated October 2013
- Read these early adopter case studies: