Promoting Responsible Investment in the Inclusive Finance Sector
The SPTF Social Investor Working Group works to advance responsible investment in financial inclusion. The group is led by SPTF board members Emmanuelle Javoy of Symbiotics and Anna Kanze of Grassroots Capital Management.
2020 Social Investor Working Group Meetings
Save the dates for the SPTF Social Investor Working Group in-person meetings in 2020!
The first SIWG meeting will take place March 11 in Lisbon, Portugal. The The meeting will be held in conjunction with Uniglobal's Global Microfinance Forum, which will be held March 12-13. We know many of you will be present at the Forum, and we hope that connecting our annual SIWG meeting to other regional or sector-wide conferences will be more efficient for members, as well as minimize environmental impact. You will receive a link to our registration form soon.
The second SIWG meeting will take place during the SPTF-UNCDF global forum, Inclusive Digital Future 2020: A Summit on Responsible Finance in Action, which will be held June 2-5 in Yangon, Myanmar. Registration details for the forum, which is being held in partnership with the Myanmar Microfinance Association, will be coming soon.
April 2019 meeting in Washington, D.C., hosted by the IFC.
- Visit the event webpage to see the agenda, presentations, and notes.
June 2018 meeting in Luxembourg, hosted by the Ministry of Foreign and European Affairs (MAEE) in partnership with the Inclusive Finance Network Luxembourg (InFiNe.lu).
- Read the agenda here.
- Review Day 1 presentations here.
- Review Day 2 presentations here.
- Read the executive summary here and the full minutes here.
February 2018 meeting in conjunction with the SPTF Annual Meeting in Mamallapuram, India.
June 2017 meeting in conjunction with the SPTF Annual Meeting in Mexico City.
March 2017 meeting at the University of Zurich hosted by the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC), the Swiss Capacity Building Facility (SCBF), and the University of Zürich’s Centre for Sustainable Finance and Private Wealth.
Current Priorities of the Working Group
- Harmonizing investor due diligence and monitoring on social performance through the common tool SPI4 ALINUS.
- Evaluating client protection risks in fintech investments during due diligence and ongoing monitoring. SPTF and CDC Group have partnered to develop a webinar series for investors to be held during October 2017 and June 2018.
- Aligning efforts with the broader impact investment sector. As part of the World Economic Forum’s initiative to accelerate impact measurement and management, SPTF led the work of an action group to develop guidance on integrating the voice of all affected stakeholders into impact investments and activities of organizations. The work "Engaging All Affected Stakeholders" has now been published and is available here. The Impact Management Project is hosting this work. SPTF has also partnered with the GIIN to develop the Financial Inclusion theme of Navigating Impact, and with UNPRI to help develop the Financial Inclusion area of the Impact Investing Market Map. The alignment work also includes coordinating with IRIS and GIIRS
- Assessing S&E performance SME finance to understand "state of practice" of S&E evaluation for FSPs financing SMEs, applicability of Universal Standards and SPI4, assess tools used by MIVs and DFIs, identify existing gaps, and provide recommendations where guidance is needed.
- Other areas of priority include: Harmonizing loan agreements covenants in support of responsible microfinance ("reasonable covenants 2.0"), preventing over-indebtedness (Investment Managers guidelines on over-indebtedness), managing social outcomes (discussions integrated with the SPTF Outcomes Working Group, pricing transparency (discussions integrated with Data Platform pilot), Balanced return expectations & responsible exits in equity investments.
Update on Data Platform, June 2019
Implementing Guideline 6: Promoting Fair and Transparent Pricing, May 2019
Smart Campaign PowerPoint
DEG briefing note
Takeaways from the IFC-SPTF Investor Forum, May 2019
Update on IRIS+ core metrics, February 2019
Update on SPTF Social Investor Working Group, October 2018
Update on research for assessing E&S of SME finance institutions, April 2018
Framework for E&S assessment of SME finance institutions - Updated October 2018
Indicators for E&S assessment of SME finance institutions - Updated October 2018
IFC Guidelines for Responsible DFS Investment, April 2018
Overview of the Impact Management Project - Bridges Impact Plus, December 2016
Discussion on feedback and updates proposed for the Guidelines for setting reasonable covenants in support of responsible finance, September 2016
IRIS, SPTF and the Investor Perspective, June 2016
Investor Social Outcome Guidelines - Gathering Feedback from Investors, May 2016
Responsible Pricing - Smart Campaign, April 2016