Promoting Responsible Investment in the Inclusive Finance Sector
The SPTF Social Investor Working Group works to advance responsible investment in financial inclusion. The group is led by SPTF board members Christophe Bochatay of Triple Jump and Anna Kanze of Grassroots Capital Management.
2019 Social Investor Working Group Meeting
Responsible Finance for Digital Inclusion: Investing for Impact
IFC and the SPTF Social Investor Working Group hosted an Investor Forum from April 3-4, 2019 at IFC’s headquarters in Washington, D.C.
Participants shared investment lessons in social performance and impact management, discussed recent strategies for digital transformation, and shared the latest developments in impact investing tools for financial inclusion and the larger impact space, critical to achieving the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). The meeting also included deep-dive sessions about how investors in financial inclusion and digital financial services (DFS) can assess and manage increased risks in the rapidly evolving digital finance landscape. Discussions included the latest initiatives among co-founding and new signatories of the Guidelines for Investing in Responsible Digital Financial Services, and its importance toward investing for impact.
June 2018 meeting in Luxembourg, hosted by the Ministry of Foreign and European Affairs (MAEE) in partnership with the Inclusive Finance Network Luxembourg (InFiNe.lu).
- Read the agenda here.
- Review Day 1 presentations here.
- Review Day 2 presentations here.
- Read the executive summary here and the full minutes here.
February 2018 meeting in conjunction with the SPTF Annual Meeting in Mamallapuram, India.
June 2017 meeting in conjunction with the SPTF Annual Meeting in Mexico City.
March 2017 meeting at the University of Zurich hosted by the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC), the Swiss Capacity Building Facility (SCBF), and the University of Zürich’s Centre for Sustainable Finance and Private Wealth.
Current Priorities of the Working Group
- Harmonizing investor due diligence and monitoring on social performance through the common tool SPI4 ALINUS.
- Evaluating client protection risks in fintech investments during due diligence and ongoing monitoring. SPTF and CDC Group have partnered to develop a webinar series for investors to be held during October 2017 and June 2018.
- Aligning efforts with the broader impact investment sector. As part of the World Economic Forum’s initiative to accelerate impact measurement and management, SPTF led the work of an action group to develop guidance on integrating the voice of all affected stakeholders into impact investments and activities of organizations. The work "Engaging All Affected Stakeholders" has now been published and is available here. The Impact Management Project is hosting this work. SPTF has also partnered with the GIIN to develop the Financial Inclusion theme of Navigating Impact, and with UNPRI to help develop the Financial Inclusion area of the Impact Investing Market Map. The alignment work also includes coordinating with IRIS and GIIRS
- Assessing S&E performance SME finance to understand "state of practice" of S&E evaluation for FSPs financing SMEs, applicability of Universal Standards and SPI4, assess tools used by MIVs and DFIs, identify existing gaps, and provide recommendations where guidance is needed.
- Other areas of priority include: Harmonizing loan agreements covenants in support of responsible microfinance ("reasonable covenants 2.0"), preventing over-indebtedness (Investment Managers guidelines on over-indebtedness), managing social outcomes (discussions integrated with the SPTF Outcomes Working Group, pricing transparency (discussions integrated with Data Platform pilot), Balanced return expectations & responsible exits in equity investments.
Update on Data Platform, June 2019
Implementing Guideline 6: Promoting Fair and Transparent Pricing, May 2019
Smart Campaign PowerPoint
DEG briefing note
Takeaways from the IFC-SPTF Investor Forum, May 2019
Update on IRIS+ core metrics, February 2019
Update on SPTF Social Investor Working Group, October 2018
Update on research for assessing E&S of SME finance institutions, April 2018
Framework for E&S assessment of SME finance institutions - Updated October 2018
Indicators for E&S assessment of SME finance institutions - Updated October 2018
IFC Guidelines for Responsible DFS Investment, April 2018
Overview of the Impact Management Project - Bridges Impact Plus, December 2016
Discussion on feedback and updates proposed for the Guidelines for setting reasonable covenants in support of responsible finance, September 2016
IRIS, SPTF and the Investor Perspective, June 2016
Investor Social Outcome Guidelines - Gathering Feedback from Investors, May 2016
Responsible Pricing - Smart Campaign, April 2016