Photo credit: Lene Hansen, Syrian refugee clients of Al Amelia Greenberg leads a Training of Trainers in Brussels, Belgium.
Majmoua displaying their handicrafts in Aley branch, Lebanon.
SPTF Working Group on Microfinance for Refugees
The Social Performance Task Force, in partnership with the Livelihoods Unit of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), is working to increase access to financial services for refugees. SPTF's working group identifies and shares innovative practice in the provision of financial services to refugees, while also increasining our sector's understanding of the financial needs of refugee populationss and dispelling misconceptions about them.
Read a case study written in 2015 on Al Majmoua, Lebanon: Serving Refugee Populations in Lebanon - Lessons Learned from a New Frontier
SPTF worked with independent consultant Lene Hansen to write guidelines for financial service providers on extending their services to refugees. This resource, called "Serving Refugee Populations: The Next Financial Inclusion Frontier," is available in English and Arabic. The guidelines present the sector's current understanding of best practices, and are divided into three main sections: 1) Refugees as a potential FSP market segment; 2) A framework for financial inclusion of refugees; and 3) Potential profitability drivers.
Webinar 3 (July 2017) - Adie and Habitat share findings from a survey on the financial needs of refugees in Turkey
Read the brief
Findings from Adia and Habitat 2017 survey on the financial needs of refugees in Turkey
Training of Trainers
SPTF has developed materials for a two-day training on financial inclusion for refugee populations. Download the PowerPoint presentations for each module of the training here:
- TOT Session 1: Welcome
- TOT Session 2: What do we know
- TOT Session 3: Business case framework
- TOT Session 4: Preparatory steps
- TOT Session 5: Review
- TOT Session 6: Products and Delivery
- TOT Session 7: Profit drivers and case study
- TOT Session 8: Group presenters and UNHCR
- TOT Session 9: Wrap up
- Listen to a webinar on the guidelines and view a PPT presentation that review the contents of the guidelines.
- Read an article in Arabic: هل يشكل اللاجئون نوعية خطرة من عملاء التمويل الأصغر؟
- Listen to our introductory webinar: Refugees- The Next Frontier in Financial Inclusion? Also, review the notes and PowerPoint.
- Review the PowerPoint from our workshop in Morocco: A New Frontier for Financial Inclusion in English en français.
- Read the workshop notes in English.